Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Shift Work

 I have decided to use this post to link up with Tiffany for this weeks LBFBH.



I had this post on my blog, then I deleted it, b/c I wasn't sure if it was too much info about work (it wasn't, I was just being paranoid), then I had a draft, thinking that I would do another post, then I guess I deleted it. Anyway...my original post was quite good, and I rather sad that I deleted it, but I will redo it, albeit a bit shorter.

I was inspired by The Glorious Mundane about doing a post about working shift work. My life is so glamourous, I know. Ha! I am a CSW who works in a 24/7 staffed Group home. Right now, I work 4, have a day off, work one, have four days off, work two days, have two days off, then back to four. When I work four days, the middle two shifts are two - 12 hour shifts. I have had this rotation/position since September. Shift work is well, interesting. There are many highs, lows, pros cons to having a job that isn't 9-5 M-F. Let me share them with you:

 Pros:

More money. Duh!

 It's not 9-5 M-F. I actually like the idea that I get to sleep in, relax, maybe get things done, then I get to go to work. I love that I get the weekdays off, too.

Our Grocery Bill has Gone Down. When I work, hubby doesn't eat much. So, he pretty much just nibbles, etc. Sometimes we do that even when I am not working. LOL.

I get a four day wknd every second wknd. Yay! My social life is back on! (see CONS section) This is the part of my rotation that I LOVE. LOL. We can (not that we do) go the ranch, or go on camping trips, etc.

Cons:

My social like takes a hit. It really does blow sometimes, not doing things with friends...not being able to go to things, etc. Thankfully, my friends are pretty good and wangling things around me. I also only get to church every second wknd. It isn't a huge deal, but I do miss it, especially if I decide to not go on my wknds off.

Four days in a row is tough. I wouldn't mind if they were shorter shifts (thankful for the money, though), but the fact that I work two 12 hours shifts can be tough. Thankfully, this position isn't as busy as my other one, but it can be super long at times.

Not as much time with Anker. Thankfully, he is awesome about this. He knows I am tired when I get home, I don't like to talk much, and I usually go to bed (especially on the wknds that I work), and just chill and be alone. But you combine that with my evenings out with friends and family, well, you don't get a lot of time left. Thankfully, we do spend time together at home, on our computers...ok, it's not true couple time, but hey, we're together.

A bad sleep pattern. I go to bed late, sleep in late (even on my days off), which isn't the greatest, but, it is what it is. People bug me about it, but they get it.

I am sure that I had a few more in each section in my last post, but I can't remember. So, those are just a few of the pros and cons of shift work.





No comments:

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...